Saturday 2 April 2011

Question 5: How did you attract/address your audience?

In my thriller I attracted my audience by creating very strong female characters that they can relate and identify with. They are both teenage girls which the audience can relate to as they are the same age as the target audience. The ambiguity of both characters in my thriller can be identified with the female audience because many people do have two sides, one less appealing than the other. 


A current issue that is explored in my film is the use of social networking sites to watch, bully and enticing people into the bullying. As this is a current issue the audience can relate to it because it is happening in modern society. Many people use social networking sites to bully their victims therefore my thriller will appeal to people interested in the zeitgeist. The audience is attracted through the narrative structure. Many teenage girls can identify with the emotions of jealousy and obsession and the themes are interesting to the target audience. These are both explored in my thriller which would be interesting to the target audience. 


In my thriller I have used conventions of psychological thrillers. From my audience research into films such as ‘Red Road’, which could also be seen as a psychological thriller I have found that these are more popular with females, because of this I have attracted my audience through the subgenre of my film.
  
Throughout my thriller I have created a sense of mystery, suspense and unease. The audience are attracted to my thriller because audiences get a pleasure out of the feeling of uncertainty. I have created a sense of mystery through the contrast in locations, the wide open space contrasting with the enclosed spaces cause the audience to feel disorientated. Through the shot types and ambiguity in character I have created suspense. The audience feel that something is about to happen throughout my thriller, yet they can’t actually guess what it is. Audiences like this feeling of suspense as they can’t wait to find out what happens.  

1 comment:

  1. A good through response. You have identified strong female characters, the theme of social networking and also the psychological subgenre - also use of suspense.

    This shows an assured understanding of audience appeal.

    ReplyDelete